Monday 15 October 2012

I'm Trying to Be Righteous

I'm doing something a little different with this blog and subsequent ones.  I will be giving my thoughts on selected youtube videos.  The first one is "I'm Trying To Be Righteous" from Patrice O'Neal.  Patrice is one of the comics that I admire the most.  Not only is he funny but he speaks the truth, as he sees it.  He is not afraid to express his opinion.

The video is a clip from Unmasked with Ron Bennington and Patrice was asked, "What are you trying to do?".  He said, "I'm trying to be righteous.  When I wake up, I know I was honest with myself."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1svdF4ONcXY

This is what I think he meant:   he would rather do his act the way he wants, to tell his own truth, rather than 'play the game'.  There are comics that are more famous than him, more successful, more of a household name than him, but are they funnier than him?  No.  Are they memorable?   No.  But will he be remembered long after everyone forgets about these other comics?  Yes.  I would rather be memorable for affecting people than have people think I was funny but forgettable.  Don't get me wrong, the first job is to make the audience laugh.  But as I was reminded, there is more than one way up the mountain.  But when I see comics getting laughs from 'fluff' jokes or stolen jokes or hacky material, I think, "How do they live with themselves?"  I'm sure it's easier with the paycheques they receive.  But is that all your after?  It's pretentious to say that what we do as comics is art, but I consider it a craft and I have respect for comics that treat comedy as such.  If you're good at it, like Patrice or Pryor, you can raise it to the level of art.

But like I said, I would rather be memorable rather than funny and forgettable.  I'll give you an example of what I mean.  I've had friends that went to comedy shows and I'll ask them, "Who did you see?" and they don't remember.  "Well, what did he talk about?", I ask.  "I don't know, but he was funny."  I'm sure he was.  But if you were to see Patrice O'Neal, you would remember what he says because what he says affects you.  It has an impact, it makes you think, it might even offend you.  Chances are it will offend you.  He has a bit on his last CD, "Mr. P" where he compares his dogs to his woman.  Now, in the hands of a lesser comic, an analogy like this would turn everyone against them.  But Patrice gets huge laughs, probably the biggest laughs on the entire CD.  Why?  Because he's able to get you on his side, to come around to his way of thinking.  And you sit there nodding in agreement at the same time as you're laughing your ass off.

But back to the video.  This video has made a huge impact on me because I'm ready to record my first live CD and the material I am going to include on it is funny, but I feel removed from it, distanced.  Some of the jokes were written up to seven or eight years ago and I don't have the same connection with them that I once had.  They're my jokes but they're not me, y'know what I mean?  Because I've changed, my comedy has changed.  Because of guys like Patrice, I am doing something new with my comedy where I am telling the truth.  Not that I was lying with my earlier material, but I am being more honest with not only events that have happened in my life, but also being honest with my opinions and my beliefs.  There were always elements of truth in my earlier jokes, but then I would change things up to get a laugh.  Now it's nothing but truth.  When I sit down to write new material, I think of a quote from Wab Kinew, host of the acclaimed CBC television series '8th Fire'.  He said, "People who tell stories have a role in society where they can not only deliver the truth, but they can help shape the truth".   That's my goal.  I had poet Janet Marie Rogers review my youtube videos and she said, Brian "delivers the truth without apology".  I thought that was the greatest compliment ever.  But why apologize for the truth?  That's like apologizing for your opinion.

All comics get excited about their new material, but I'm really excited about the new direction my comedy is taking me.  When I perform these new jokes, I can say, "Y'know what, that's me."  I'm being righteous.  I'm being true to myself.  I already have a title for my second CD.  "I Swear, To Tell the Truth".  It'll be ready when it's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment