Friday 21 October 2011

Trying Out New Material

I did a spot last night opening for pro headliner Carter Hortie at Nancy O's.  I tried out some new material and it went over great.  I did some tried and true material, but it was mostly for context.  I'm building an act.  And the new material has to fit in there somewhere.
A couple of the jokes I had in my notebook for awhile but never tried them onstage.  Others were brand new.  I'm getting better at performing jokes.  I don't think the jokes I performed last night would have worked as well as they did a few years ago.  My style was too laid back.  Not that I'm manic now.  But I just delivered them last night with a little bit of energy, just what they needed.
Plus, I'm enjoying myself onstage and it shows.  And when the audience sees this, they enjoy themselves too.
When the new material works, it makes me want to write more.  It makes me go through my notebook to see what jokes I've maybe overlooked in the past that might work now.  My act just keeps on building.
I'm opening again tonight for Carter Hortie.  I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment