Thursday 6 October 2011

Last Night's Show

I felt really good after last night's show.  I made everyone laugh and didn't offend anyone.  I cut a bunch of material out, so I had a shorter set, but it made for an overall better show.
The show was for an Aboriginal health conference.  We had a great dinner beforehand.  The usual salads, rice, and fish, but they also had garlic prawns.  I had to go back for seconds.  They were so good.  Plus, not all the delegates were there yet, so there was plenty.
After dinner shows are always tough, especially when your performance takes place in the same hall or room where the meetings are being held.  The room is just not set up properly for comedy.  Comedy is very intimate.  It requires the audience to pay attention, to be facing the performer, preferably in a darkened room.  Round tables are the worst.
Last night was good, despite the audience member's reluctance to move forward, even after we asked them twice.  If we hadn't, they would've been so far from the stage, that my jokes would go out there and just fall flat.
The crowd was good.  Or I'm getting better at holding their attention.  You have to get them right away or you'll never get them.  I have a few jokes right off the top that I am going to keep in my routine for a long time.  They are very strong jokes, they introduce me to the audience, it gets their attention, makes them laugh and we both get settled in.
You do this long enough, you start to get a feel for the audiences.  As well, I had a chance to sit with them for dinner and interact with them.  So I knew what material was gonna go over with them and what wasn't.
The audience was mainly female, so I cut a good portion of my dirty material.  Stuck mainly with the Native material.
But after the show, a lot of people went out of their way to come up to me and thank me for my performance.  Not only that, a lot of people asked for my contact info.  So hopefully I will be getting a few more gigs in the future.  Christmas is coming up, don't forget.  Book me now to avoid disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment