Monday 14 November 2011

Thank You for Listening

I end every set with the words, "My name is Brian Majore.  Thank you for listening."  I'm not sure when I started doing this, but it's part of my routine now.
And that's all I ask from an audience.  I want them to listen to what I have to say.  I would like them to laugh, don't get me wrong, that's the objective.  But if they're not going to laugh, they should at least listen.  If the audience listens to what I have to say, they will learn something about me, they will learn what it is like for me as a Native person living in what is now Canada.  And that's what I want them to take away from my show.  I want them to walk away from my show with a better understanding of what it is like for us.  Thomas King says he is holding up a mirror to White society and saying, "See, this is what it's like."  I feel like I'm doing something similar.
Thank you for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment