Sunday 18 September 2011

This Past Weekend

I opened for Erica Sigurdson over the weekend at a place called Nancy O's in Prince George.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out the shows were sold out.  The first night I did my best material, which can be found on my youtube clip.  This was the first time performing at this venue, so I pulled out my 'A' material.  I did just over 5 minutes, which I haven't done in over a year.  For the past year, I've been doing full shows, so going back to 5 minutes was an adjustment.  But the shows went great.  The second night, I did a new joke, something I wrote a couple of days ago.  It went over well, a keeper for sure.  I'm not good at judging numbers, but there must've been about 40 or 50 people there.  If you've never been, I highly recommend it.  I hope to be back there soon.
Erica held a workshop for the comedians that opened for her.  We taped our sets and she critiqued them.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend.  But I am working on a workshop myself.  It is geared towards youth that are interested in trying stand-up comedy.  I am hoping to debut it at home on Haida Gwaii.  It would be a 3 session workshop spread out over three days to allow time for the youth to write and develop material.  And at the end of the workshop, the youth would put on a show with me hosting and headlining.  If it works out, I will be offering this workshop at high schools and friendship centres.

No comments:

Post a Comment